– In 1970, when the camp was renting space in South Haven, Michigan, campers were bussed to a local motel pool for swimming lessons.
– In 1976 and 1977 when CYJ was renting space at Camp Tamarack in Ortonville, Michigan, it used two sections of the camp: Fishman Village and Silverman Village. These two sections were separated by a huge field and the lake was closer to Silverman.
– In 1978, CYJ rented space at Camp Mahiya in Chelsea, Michigan, which was at the Waterloo Recreation Area.
– Camp Nahelu in Ortonville, Michigan (where CYJ rented space from 1979 to 1986) was located on 77 acres on the shores of Perry Lake. Some say that Nahelu is the combined first names of the original owners (Naomi and Ehiel Lesowater). Others claim it was named after their two children. When CYJ Midwest rented this site, the owner’s name was Fred Stern. In 2003, he sold the site to a developer who divided the 77 acres into cluster housing for 31 home sites.
–In 1990, CYJ purchased Camp Waupaca for Boys from Manny Desnet, who had owned Camp Waupaca since 1966. Camp Waupaca was a private, boys summer camp that operated from 1951 to 1988. The bunks were WWII army barracks.